Wednesday 16 March 2011

Friends #2

Last post I began on an acrostic that I developed a few years ago around the word "Friend". Last time I said that I believe friends need to fellowship or spend time with each other if we are to develop true friendship. Today I want to look at R or the fact that friends reach out to one another as I believe there are two different aspects to this idea that I would liek to briefly flesh out.

As I write the country of Japan is in the news as it suffered a horrific disaster with a tsunami and earthquake devastated a part of that nation. It is a nation in need and people are seeking to help via financial and material donations. This in some ways is an example of what a real friendship should like as well. We are told in Scripture if we know of a need and are able to supply that need to someone it should be automatic that we do it. I know there have been times in my life when I have seen a friend in need and though, unfortuantely more times than I care to admit to I have turned away, it is challenging I have sought to help as I am sure you all have. Sometimes a friend may be embarrassed to admit to a need but a real friend will seek to reach out to someone who is hurting.

Over the past couple of years I have had the opportunity to develop a friendship with a former classmate of years gone by via Skype. Admittedly it is difficult to always discern how that friend is doing seeing the only communication is via the written word and occasional video contacts but at the same time I believe as we ahve gotten to know each other we have reached out to each other. The way we end our conversations are usually with a virtual hug emoticon and kiss emoticon. Though cute it shows we care as there have been many times when one or both of us have admitted that we wished we could do more for the other individual but due to distance etc it is not possible, still I believe it shows reaching out.

The flipside of reaching out is to admit that one has a need to be ministered to. Sometimes I think it is easier to be on the giving end or the reaching out to a hurting friend end rather than being the one who is in need. I don't like to admit many times that I have a need and yet there may be times when a friend wants to help out and both miss out on a blessing, i.e. the one who is reaching out to me or you and the receiver of the action.

Thus friends not only spend time together in fellowship but they reach out to one another. I look forward to your input on this.

2 comments:

  1. It's true, Dan, it is much easier to be the one who helps rather than the one willing to be vulnerable enough to say. "I need help."

    I had a direct experience with being the one that needed help back in December, and I was fortunate enough to have a very loving Christian friend to come alongside me, allow me to cry, and just listen to me. When you are in need this is invaluable.

    Great post! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. True, Dan. We need to be there for each other, and it needs to be two way, both giving as well as receiving. Though there are certainly times when the need will be great on one side. I like the passage in Proverbs that says something like one may have many friends, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother. I think that's what friends essentially are for. To be present for each other. Thanks for helping us think on this. Good words, Dan.

    ReplyDelete