Sunday 27 March 2011

Friends #4

I have looked at the fact that a true friend fellowships or spends time with others, a friend reaches out to others and a friend identifies with others. I now want to look at the fact that a true friend encourages others.

Over the years I have had many acquaintances but only a small circle of friends. I say this in that yes there have been many times when I have had rough times or even good times and people will make comments about them but a true friend encourages in the good and bad times. I still have in my possession a card that was sent to me by my father, who is my friend when I was doing a pastoral internship in Findlay, Ohio. The card stated: "Remember when I used to lift you up when you were small. I still do before the throne of grace in prayer." The simple words of that card rang true for me then as they still do that my father and others are sticking with me in the good and bad, be it through prayer as the card indicated or by just "being there" when I need them.

On the flip side if I am to be a friend I need to be one who encourages others myself as the writer of Proverbs reminds us in Proverbs 18:24 that there is a friend that sticks closer than a brother. A true friend will stick by another in the good and bad. We have all heard of "fair weather friends" who don't mind being identified as your friend when everything is going your way but if trouble comes be it sickness, family crisis, or other circumstances they suddenly disappear and you don't know who you can count on. I have heard of too many people in my life that have felt abandoned by so called friends when they were going through a difficult time. I hope I am not guilty of that, nor I trust are you.

In the New Testament we are introduced to Barnabas in the book of Acts who was known as one who encouraged people including the apostle Paul. Indeed at the start of Paul's ministry after his dramatic salvation experience it was Barnabas who stood up for Paul when others were afraid (Acts 9:26,27).

So a true friend is one who encourages others in the good and bad.

1 comment:

  1. Great words, Daniel. Wow, Findlay, Ohio is not far from my home area where I was born and raised.

    Yes, to be there and continue to be an encouragement. So needed.

    ReplyDelete